A young woman suffers major burns on her body in a fire that originated from a gas leak in her home.

Maldives National Defense Force MNDF said that the fire was reported around 11:00 pm last night after a 20-year-old woman suffered burns after a fire occured in her home due to turning on the stove while gas was leaking.

MNDF said that the young woman was rushed to Indira Gandhi Memorial Hospital and that the woman suffered burns on 18 percent of her body.

MNDF did not reveal any other information regarding the victim's injuries or the incident.

Sources have reported that the incident occurred at one of the apartments in Edhuru Hiya flats in Male'.

Gas explosions are fairly common in the Maldives including the capital Male' and inner islands due to faulty cylinders with leaks.